30.3.10

Girrrls and drag

Been thinking alot lately about drag and the applied (with a trowel) 'subjectivity of the feminine' by male drag queens.. gs its because I've been watching Ru Pauls Drag show on foxtell instead of doing phd.


good article here

DRAG ARTISTS & PERFORMERS CREATIVITY THRU TRANSGENDERIS

Female Drag Queens by Frederike De Jonge

Interview with Raven Snook, Female Drag Queen

To me drag is not gender-bound it is a state of mind. I have met several women (born gender female that is!) who are, in my terms, a drag queen, (including myself). Some male "drag queens" say women do no thave enough drama or glamour to be drag queens. I say - what abt the women so many drag queens impersonate? A few names come to mind: Diana Ross, Marlene Dietrich, Joan Crawford, Marilyn Monroe, Bette Midler, Cher, Joanna Lumley, Madonna to name but a few.

During my last visit to New York I met up with Raven Snook ("Designated Diva" drag performer) and Andy Freeze (make-up artist & self-proclaimed drag terrorist) for a photoshoot and some chit chat on the essence of drag.

Frederike: What makes Ravens "Designated Diva" a Drag Queen?

Andy: Raven has always been a girl with a little bit of flair....


No comments: